The Cardboard Classic – Closing Weekend
Wrapping up closing weekend in Steamboat has been an honored tradition for years, and the cardboard classic is one of those zany events that make you laugh, make you cry, and make you want to come back to the mountain again and again!
When: Saturday, April 14th, 2018
The 38th annual cardboard classic is needless to say a unique event on the mountain. Contestants will build a craft strictly out of cardboard and other approved materials to compete in a downhill stampede race to the decorated finish line. Not only are the crafts built with cardboard but the judges welcome themes and costumes to round out your race day!
From 10:00 am until race time, judges will peruse the crafts and their teams to judge on appearance categories. Then, 17 and under will take the hill first at 11:00 am with the 18+ crowd to follow. Awards are ceremoniously handed out at the end of all races for various categories.
Awards are presented for:
- Coca-cola classic theme
- Most creative
- Best individual craft
- Best reproduction
- Judge’s choice
- Best costume(s)
- Crowd favorite
- Best engineering
Rules for the race:
- No more than 6 people per craft.
- No children under 5 years of age allowed in crafts.
- No pets allowed in crafts.
- An adult must accompany children 5-10 years old
- Parents/or guardians must sign release forms for children 17 & under
- All event participants must have their bib/credential in order to be able to participate.
- No alcoholic beverages within the race arena – disqualification will be immediate.
Event registration and check-in for this hilarious race is on April 14, 2018 at the Coca-Cola Tent in Gondola Square from 9:00 – 10:00am. Your team’s $20 entry fee is due at the time of the event (cash or check only). Once you have paid the event fee and signed waivers, you will receive your craft number.
Want to join in the fun or simply watch this amazing event take place? Join us closing weekend in Steamboat! Start planning your trip today.